Monday, April 1, 2013

Ami Chini Go Chini - Tribute to Tagore - Jaydeep & Chondryma

“Rabindranath Tagore” – the name that dwells in the heart of every Indian -
The contributions of Tagore are immense in our life and specially we, The Bengalis, worship Tagore as we worship God.
Out of 2,230 songs composed by Tagore, this is one Rabindrasangeet sung by most of the Bengali/Rabindrasangeet singers and to celebrate the 152nd birth anniversary of Tagore here is our tribute to the Gurudev.


I have sung this song as a duet with my brother Jaydeep.
 



The English translation of the song -

I know you, know you, you are known to me.
Oh, maiden of a distant land.
Your home is across the sea,
Oh, maiden of a distant land.

I’ve seen you on autumn mornings.
I’ve seen you on fragrant nights.
I’ve seen you in my own heart.

I’ve heard across the sky.
I’ve heard your songs I have.
I’ve surrendered my life to you.
To you, my stranger.

I’ve gone around the whole world.
At last I’ve stepped on this new land.
I’m your guest, I stand before your door.
Oh, maiden of a distant land.

I know you, know you, you are known to me.
Oh, maiden of a distant land.
Your home is across the sea,
Oh, maiden of a distant land.



This beautiful song appeared in the Bengali movie Charulata, sung by none other than Kishore Kumar.
Charulata (Bengali:The Lonely Wife) is a 1964 film by Bengali director Satyajit Ray, based upon the novella Nastanirh (“The Broken Nest”) by Rabindranath Tagore.

No comments: